Did you know a home with no security measures is five times more likely to be burgled?
Some simple measures can make your home more secure and less appealing to burglars.
- Make sure all your keys are out of sight – don’t leave them visible or within reach of a letterbox.
- Consider installing a visible burglar alarm and outside lights.
- Secure your bikes – lock them to something that can’t be moved, preferably in a locked shed or garage.
- Don’t leave ladders and tools lying around – these can be used to break-in to your home.
- Burglars may shine a torch through a window at night to view the contents – close your curtains and blinds so your rooms are not on view.
- Look after your garden fences, lock your gates (particularly side and back gates) and trim high hedges.
- Make sure one of your neighbours is keeping an eye on your house.
- Use a timer to turn the radio and lights on while you’re away – your house won’t appear empty.
- Consider moving larger expensive items (TV, computer, laptop etc.) so they’re not visible through a window.