Simple steps to a more secure home
Did you know a home with no security measures is five times more likely to be burgled?
Some simple measures can make your home more secure and less appealing to burglars.
It’s surprising how often people forget to lock doors and windows when they go out. Even if you’re just in the garden – lock up the house.
- Make sure all your keys are out of sight – don’t leave them visible or within reach of a letterbox.
- Consider installing a visible burglar alarm and outside lights.
- Secure your bikes – lock them to something that can’t be moved, preferably in a locked shed or garage.
- Don’t leave ladders and tools lying around – these can be used to break-in to your home.
- Burglars may shine a torch through a window at night to view the contents – close your curtains and blinds so your rooms are not on view.
- Look after your garden fences, lock your gates (particularly side and back gates) and trim high hedges.
And, if you’re going on holiday:
GET IN TOUCH TO FIND OUT HOW WE CAN HELP
- Make sure one of your neighbours is keeping an eye on your house.
- Use a timer to turn the radio and lights on while you’re away – your house won’t appear empty.
- Consider moving larger expensive items (TV, computer, laptop etc.) so they’re not visible through a window.